This model is NOS and is sold in a plain white box
Divco was a brand name of delivery trucks built and marketed in the United States. Divco is an acronym which stands for Detroit Industrial Vehicles COmpany. Divco became known for its multi-stop delivery trucks, particularly in use as home delivery vehicles by dairy producers. From 1926 until 1986, Divco produced trucks of various sizes and job descriptions
The chief engineer of the Detroit Electric Vehicle Company, George Bacon, suggested using a gasoline engine for their line of delivery vehicles to overcome limits on their range and performance in cold weather. Because his bosses refused, Bacon left the company and with a group of investors, established the Detroit Industrial Vehicle Company in 1926.
The first Divco "Model A" were boxy, practical vehicles. High organizational costs meant the company went through a reorganization in 1927. In 1928, a larger, more conventional "Model G" was introduced that evolved into the "Model S" that was manufactured into the 1930s. During the Great Depression the company was bought out by Continental Motors Company, which supplied most of the engines installed in Divco trucks, and then spun off from Continental in 1936 to be acquired by Twin Coach, thus becoming "Divco-Twin."
A new design was introduced in 1937 featuring a welded all-steel van body and a snub-nosed hood, a model that was manufactured with almost no changes up to the end of the line in 1986. Along with the new "Model U", the company built a new production facility on the outskirts of Detroit.
With most Divco trucks, controls allowed driving while standing, including throttle and brake mounted on the steering column. The early models were not refrigerated, with perishable loads such as milk crates loaded and then covered with ice — making the trucks prone to rust from the inside out. The company marketed to fleet buyers promoting their trucks as "a bigger value when you buy, produces more profit in your delivery operation, is worth more when you trade."
In 1957, Divco merged with the Wayne Works in Richmond, Indiana, to form Divco-Wayne. During the Divco-Wayne era, some Divco trucks were modified with seats and windows from the Wayne Works to produce a Divco Dividend Bus. Very few of these units were built between 1959 and 1961. The truck manufacturing of Divco-Wayne continued to be through the Divco portion. Divco was spun off from the company in 1968, and production was moved from Detroit to Delaware, Ohio, in 1969. Production ended in 1986.
Wayne continued manufacturing buses until bankruptcy and liquidation in 1992.
Borden Dairy Company is a privately held U.S. dairy processor and distributor headquartered in Dallas, Texas.
Milk Products, LLC licenses the Borden name and Elsie the Cow trademark from Borden, Inc.'s successor company, Hexion Specialty Chemicals.
National Dairy was formed in 2001 when a group of investors led by Dairy Farmers of America bought Crowley Foods and Marigold Foods (later renamed Kemps). Later that year, National Dairy acquired 11 plants divested by Suiza Foods as part of its merger with Dean Foods. National Dairy acquired Alabama's Dairy Fresh and Colorado's Sinton Dairy in 2003. HP Hood acquired Crowley and Kemps from National Dairy in 2004.
In 2009, Grupo Lala of Mexico acquired National Dairy from DFA. Also in 2009, Lala acquired Farmland Dairies. In 2010, National Dairy sold Utah's Cream O' Weber to Darigold. In 2011, Laguna Dairy, consisting of Lala's U.S. operations, was separated from Lala in preparation for an IPO. In 2013, Borden was spun-off and became a subsidiary of a private company called Laguna Dairy, S.A. de C.V. In 2017, ACON Investments became the majority owner of the Borden dairy business. Following the equity recapitalization, Laguna Dairy remains a substantial equity holder in Borden.
Tony Sarsam was named chief executive officer of Borden Dairy Company in February 2018.
Borden Milk Products' items are available in the following U.S. states: Alabama, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Tennessee, Texas and Ohio. The Borden Milk Products has been around for over 150 years, and is known for its processing and distribution of dairy products produced in regionally located facilities. In Ohio, Borden also goes under the Dairymens label.
Elsie the Cow
Elsie the Cow is Borden Dairy Company’s spokescow that is used for the label on the products. Elsie was first introduced in 1936, appearing as one of four cartoon cows (with Mrs. Blossom, Bessie and Clara) in a series of advertisements that ran in medical journals. Elsie was created by a team that was led by advertising marketer David William Reid. In 1940, Reid also created for Elsie a fictional cartoon mate, Elmer the Bull, who was lent to Borden's then-chemical division as the mascot for Elmer's Glue. The pair was given calves Beulah and Beauregard in 1948, and twins Larabee and Lobelia in 1957.
In 2000, Advertising Age recognized Elsie the Cow as one of the top 10 advertising icons of all time. Elsie has now been around for over 70 years.